I found this recipe on the Worlds Healthiest Foods website and thought I would give it a try. I’m not very good about eating vegetables so I am trying to find ways to get more of them into my diet. Luckily, my husband is not a picky eater and goes along with my experiments. He was a little surprised by the tofu but he went back for seconds so it must have been ok. I served it with Uncle Bens Brown Rice, it cooks in only 10 minutes. Seaweed rice that they suggest seemed a bit extreme. Total calories per serving of stir fry: 117! I had 1 serving and Randy finished the rest . that’s alot of food for not many calories BUT the rice adds 170 calories per 1/4 cup so I might skip that next time.
Stir-fry is a wonderful way to enjoy a wide variety of health-promoting nutrients. It is also a great way to use whatever vegetables you have available in your refrigerator.
- 1 medium onion, cut in half and sliced thick
- 1 TBS vegetable broth, you could use just water
- 4 medium cloves garlic, pressed. I use the jarred stuff, it’s easier
- 1 TBS minced fresh ginger (I didnt have any so I used Chinese 5 spice)
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into slices. The red adds color, you could use green if you want a less expensive pepper
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms. I used button but you can use any type, remove stems
- 2 cups sliced green cabbage
- 5 oz extra firm tofu cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 TBS light soy sauce
- 1 TBS sesame seeds
- salt and white pepper to taste
- any other veggies you have on hand such as carrots, celery, etc.
- Slice onions and press garlic and let sit for 5 minutes
- Prepare rest of vegetables.
- Heat 1 TBS broth in a stainless steel wok or 12 inch skillet. Stir fry onion for about 2 minutes in broth over medium-high heat, stirring constantly.
- Add red pepper, mushrooms, cabbage and any other veggies. Continue to stir-fry for another 2 minutes. Add garlic, ginger and continue to cook stirring for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add rest of ingredients and cook for another 2 minutes. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Serves 4 (at our house it served 2)
Serving Suggestion: Serve with Seaweed Rice
From start to finish this took about 15 minutes, depending on how fussy you are with your chopping. I started the rice, then stir-frying at the same time and they finished up in 10 minutes. I have to say it was tasty and filling!